Marvell Scales Out Cloud Infrastructure with High-Density Prestera CX Switching Silicon
SANTA CLARA, Calif., May 10, 2011 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Marvell (Nasdaq: MRVL), a worldwide leader in integrated silicon solutions, today announced the Marvell® Prestera® CX8297 packet processor with support for up to 96 ports of 10GbE and up to 32 ports of 40GbE. Specifically built for high-performance public and private cloud infrastructures, the CX8297 is designed to support a full suite of L2-L4 switching and routing-along with converged and enhanced Ethernet (CEE) capabilities.
Increased use of bandwidth-hungry multimedia applications is pushing the scaling limits of typical data centers. Improved broadband connectivity, a surge in media-centric consumer devices and recent advances in multi-core CPU and virtualization technologies are driving a new cloud infrastructure paradigm. The Prestera CX8297 is Marvell's flagship solution, providing high-density 10GbE/40GbE aggregation capabilities for large data center and cloud infrastructures. Built into the 40nm process node, the CX8297 has industry-leading Gbps/watt performance, enabling next-generation green data centers.
- Virtualization-related technological advances and new business models (SaaS, Paas, IaaS) are driving large demand for a new generation of Ethernet switches in data centers
- Marvell continues to make investments in computing, storage and networking solutions
- Marvell's new Prestera family is specifically built for solving cloud connectivity and service delivery challenges
- Marvell's CX8297 device is the second generation cloud infrastructure networking solution in the Prestera packet processor family
- Supports 1.28 Tbps full duplex line rate switching with 96 ports of 10GbE and up to 32 ports of 40GbE with a full complement of L2-L4 as well as CEE capabilities
- Samples available in June 2011
- Paul Valentine, vice president of marketing for Marvell Semiconductor's Enterprise Business Unit, said, "We are experiencing a paradigm shift in data center architectures as they evolve to the cloud-centric model. The growth of public, private and personal clouds is driven by challenges around ease of management, power and equipment costs, enabling a host of new revenue-generating models. The Prestera CX8297 provides a compelling platform to build, deploy and operate these solutions."
- Alan Weckel, director with Dell'Oro Group, said, "The most significant network upgrade in the datacenter space has just begun as customers migrate servers from multiple 1GbE connections to 10GbE connections. Switching solutions with high densities of 10 and 40GbE will help accelerate 10GbE server port deployments in the data center."
- Product information: http://www.marvell.com/products/switching/prestera_cx/
- Marvell media materials: http://www.marvell.com/company/press_kit/
Marvell (NASDAQ: MRVL) is a world leader in the development of storage, communications and consumer silicon solutions. Marvell's diverse product portfolio includes switching, transceiver, communications controller, wireless and storage solutions that power the entire communications infrastructure, including enterprise, metro, home and storage networking. As used in this release, the term "Marvell" refers to Marvell Technology Group Ltd. and its subsidiaries. For more information, visit Marvell.com.
Marvell, Prestera and the M logo are registered trademarks of Marvell and/or its affiliates. Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
For Further Information Contact:
Marvell Media Relations